Monday, January 23, 2012

FREE Long Distance Calling


Of course it's free if you Do It Yourself!  And I'm not talking about a Magic Jack (see it on the scrolling slideshow). This is a VoIP network I setup while my guy was posted overseas. We were able to stay connected through a homegrown VoIP service.  Everytime that phone rang, I called it the "Bat" phone cuz I envision this to be the service Batman himself must be using, right? If I missed the call, the voice mail was sent as a wav file to my email!  The service was provided by ICONSA.CA 


How to set up a VoIP network
Plug and play, what else can I say? Seriously, though when connecting a VoIP phone to the network, you can buy a wired VoIP phone that connects directly to the switch or a wireless VoIP phone that is connected to the switch via an access point. I found this one online recently and it simplifies completely the setup I used to own. For example, http://www.voiplink.com/Cisco_SPA301G_1_Line_1_Ethernet_p/cisco-spa301g.htm


Well that is presuming I have a Cisco Catalyst switch, which offers a separate voice VLAN to overlay the voice topology onto the data network. Once again this is plug and play, because the voice VLAN feature is usually automatically configured. Simply plug the phone into the switch, and the switch provides the phone with the necessary VLAN information. Make sure you choose a model that supports PoE (power of Ethernet) to avoid having another power cord to contend with.


However, back to the home network which requires something less costly than a smart Cisco Catalyst switch but a bit more wiring.  I presume this is the same equipment my grandma uses for her "land-line" that is a VoIP phone connected to her internet service.


Here is the Cisco Linksys VoIP Internet Phone Adapter I eventually sold on ebay for only $19.99.

 



The PAP2T offers the benefits of high-quality voice over IP (VoIP) without the need to upgrade your existing analog phones.  The following weblink has more specs from the manufacture...

No comments:

Post a Comment