Thursday, March 15, 2012

Who are your online friends?

Ego-surfing

So I did a google search on myself because my colleagues claimed that they searched everywhere on the Internet for me, to find my phone number, but they could not find me. I'm not convinced because I am who I am. I run the search myself on my firstname lastname city; most hits on the first page are true, albeit outdated.  A job I posted as a prospective employer, an old work email address that got too much spam, what I studied and where I went to school, my volunteer work at a professional organization, and my resume as a piano teacher resume. The part about me running a half marathon? That's not true. LOL  I am registered for a mini-triathlon, but no I have never run that far in my life.

On the next page I see a Linked In profile for a girl with the same name as mine in Washington. She's American but not asian, with 30 years of experience in Law Enforcement, industry specific skills and two big stints in Interpol. Her photo is a really good looking chic, probably age 25. I'm nice so I decide to send her a friendly note to say... "hey we have the same name but your resume is so amazing! But the linked in profile is wide open to the public and you have security clearances, perhaps you could change the default privacy settings, but you don't have to friend me." I had to send the message like a "connection request" because that's the only way you can contact someone you are not actually connected to.  Surprisingly, she accepts. I'm intrigued by this mysterious and successful persona with my name.  I get frequent updates that she has new connections joining her from Northrop Grumman (US DOD contractor) and other interesting people.  In the back of my mind, I have suspicions why someone has 30 years experience and looks 25 (but that cannot be a crime).


Managing your online relationships

I decide to talk to my old boss because he is in the IT Security industry, he would know what to say about these kind of sticky things I get myself into. He jokes that women with my name simply cannot be trusted. He sends me a link to this article about the famous Robin Sage Experiment. It's a good read about basic online security awareness and social engineering.  The "girl" who duped military intelligence and top notch IT Security professionals.

He reassures me that he did some peripheral background checks on my new contact and the info in her resume does check out; and he even convinces me that based on her info if she is 46, well some women could still look that good. (So that confirms that he thinks she is good looking too) But he cautions me with something I should know already, as a general rule, be careful about being friends with someone you haven't actually met in real life.

Another time on Facebook, I accepted a friend request from a person who I assumed was a twenty-something year old friend of my sister because it was a name I thought I recognized.  As soon as I accepted, she chatted me up and started her note with "hihi" and her writing style was very girly and teeny boppy and we talk about similarities with her hometown Vancouver and mine.  Her friend list is full of really good looking asian chics, but no guyz. Well that's odd but I think nothing of it.  Over the course of weeks we continue to talk, about Victoria Day long weekend, how cute the kids are with tulips. Soon after I get a friend request from her again because she told me her account got locked so she started a new one. This keeps happening on a weekly basis and I decide to forget about it. On a whim I search for her profile name and there are many many profiles (without a profile picture) with her name, but there was one with a photo of a really ugly looking guy. Reminds me of a guy who did too much boxing in the face, was my first impression. I was shocked to learn that my new "friend" was probably some kind of predator. What should've been my first clue? What kind of teeny-boppy girl doesn't have guy friends on the friend's list?


Managing your online profile

You ask yourself, Who am I? Well if you feel the need to do some ego-surfing and google yourself and if you don't like what you see, here is a good article I found about un-googling yourself and managing your online identity a little bit better. Un-google yourself!

Verify the privacy settings on your various social media websites, especially access policies to the photos you post of yourself and your own children! Google has recently updated their privacy policy, which makes it harder to delete your online search history. So, um don't google something criminal like that other guy, "where to hide a body".

No comments:

Post a Comment