Thursday, February 23, 2012

Career Choices 101


Reitman's a women's clothing line for everyday wear has a catchy advertising tagline, "You have a job evaluation everyday" and there's a poster size image of a woman dressed in a business suit looking ready for a job interview. Well obviously you have to be qualified for the job, well in some jobs looks are part of the qualifications!


Boothbabe

Wikipedia has an interesting article on "promotional models". The caption for this photo indicates that the woman is a "booth babe" at a defense industry trade show. (Not the fat dude in combats) Well maybe but what if she was an HR Rep for the company, or even an Engineering Manager. I've never heard of that word before but then again, how many defense industry trade shows have I been too.

For some jobs, good looks are implied - Flight Attendant, Supermodel, etc.  Looked at recent job postings where they specifically noted looks as a requirement. A Swedish hospital posted a hiring ad looking for Hot Looking Nurses, a hiring campaign that was well received. You still had to have a nursing degree and job related qualifications to apply. 

There are alot of google search results for Import Car Model or how to become an import car model.  The general opinion was that most import car models were asian, and I didn't realize that because I thought a requirement was actually being naturally blonde and tall.  Turns out I'm wrong, the hottest import car model in Canada is Steph Ly, I was suprised to learn is the sister of a childhood friend who studied accounting and moved on to life in/on fast cars. It was tough to find a webpage that was not blocked by the firewall at work.  Another popular asian model is Min Hee Hwang from South Korea.  They call her the race queen so I thought she was a race car driver like Danica Patrick.. but drivers are usually in the drivers seat right? There aren't nearly as many photos or web posts dedicated to her (in English). I would categorize her look as classic authentic beauty, stoic, with Japanime-qualities, but not like Kat von D hot. But what do I know. I like looking at the cars in TunerZine.com; I learned alot about my new car featured this month actually, newer Toyota Prius, and the Engineering features behind that.  I finally clicked Model because I was looking for a new car. Well anyway they weren't talking about a model number for a car... so that's how this whole article got started.

Whatever career you choose though, make sure it is something you are passionate about. Engineering is a broad field that starts out with Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Civil and then they start branching off into various specialties like Aerospace, Environmental, Bio Medical, Bio Mechanical, Process, Manufacturing, Geomatics, Computer and so on. Automobile Engineer, design the fastest and sexiest car on the planet! Personally I wish I had chosen Mining Engineering instead, to look for all those sparkly diamonds!

So are there good looking girls and boys in Engineering? Yah a few for sure.  I read a cartoon before that touched on this issue. There's a girl sitting at a desk between two guys. The guy on the left leans over and says "Being a girl in engineering, your odds are good." She looks over at the guy on the right and says "The odds are good, but the goods are odd." I did a google search on "engineers good looking" and it's funny there are not too many photos of people but just machines. Now that's funny.

Big Bang Theory - Howard Walowitz the Engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment